Access to broadband Internet connections has become a must for growing economies around the world as more and more commerce, communication and innovation occur online. Australia, long known for its highly educated and productive culture, is no exception. But the country’s geography creates a challenge in keeping its population at the leading edge of online connectivity.
Australia’s cities and towns are spread across a vast, rugged landmass of nearly three million square miles. With a population of 22.8 million people, Australia has one of the world’s lowest population densities - about seven people per square mile on average. By comparison, the United States averages 83 people per square mile, and Japan has 873 people per square mile.
That low population density is great for people looking for room to roam in the outback, but it poses a big technical challenge when you want to efficiently and reliably connect Australia’s communities to the Internet.
To address this challenge, the Australian government developed a vision and strategy for a National Broadband Network (NBN), with the goal of providing access to all Australians. The NBN will provide 93 percent of the homes, schools and workplaces across the country with access to optical fibre service for superfast broadband download speeds of up to 100 Megabits per second (Mbps). The remaining 7 percent will be connected via next-generation fixed wireless and satellite. The network initiative aims to put Australia at the forefront of high-speed connectivity across the globe and to enable the country to lead the development and deployment of emerging industries like telehealth, augmented reality services and digital fabrication of goods.
In 2009, the Australian government established the National Broadband Network Company (NBN Co) to turn the NBN vision into a reality.
It’s Never Been Done Before. This nationwide network represents the largest single infrastructure project in the country’s history, akin to creating a highway system virtually from scratch. At the same time, the Australian government recognized that the network needed to deliver the highest levels of reliability, cost-effectiveness and efficiency to fully address the population’s needs.
NBN Co has turned to Emerson to design, supply, install and commission 10 network hubs (referred to as aggregation nodes) that will serve as the foundation for the continent-spanning network. Emerson Network Power was selected because it offers a unique combination of best-in-class technologies, broad service capabilities, deep industry experience and project management expertise that will enable this unprecedented network build to proceed even faster and more efficiently than initially expected.